Kuranda Range Road – Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS) Strategy
Client: Jacobs (Australia) Pty Ltd and the Queensland Department of Transport and Main Roads
Industry sector: Transport infrastructure
Service: Environmental Management and Approvals
Location: Cairns/Kuranda, Far North QLD (Wet Tropics World Heritage Area)
The project involved the design of an Intelligent Transport System (ITS) located between Smithfield and Kuranda, traversing the Kuranda Range Road within sections of the Wet Tropics World Heritage Area (WTWHA). The ITS aims to improve incident detection and response capabilities (therefore reducing response time for emergency and maintenance services) and reduce the frequency of crashes on the Kuranda Range Road through proactive management of operations including via a Variable Speed Limit System (VSLS).
The ITS consists of:
- Closed-circuit television (CCTV).
- Full matrix display light-emitting diode (LED) variable message signage (VMS) system.
- LED Lane Use Management Sign (LUMS).
- Radar vehicle detectors.
- Post mount enclosures.
- Fibre Optic Break Out Trays (FOBOT) & associated network switches.
- Field processors.
- LED sign controller.
- Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) battery backup.
- Road Weather Monitoring System.
- Additional site-specific ITS devices such as Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) cameras.
- Trunk electrical (mains power) infrastructure including pits and conduits to connect and adequately operate all Kuranda ITS Stations (KIS) installed through Horizontal Directional Drilling (HDD).
- Trunk communications (data) infrastructure including pits and conduits to connect all KIS stations (pits will require minor excavation, conduits installed through HDD).
- Station structure/supports and footings, static signage, guard rail.
Our role in the project
Niche was engaged by Jacobs Australia Pty Ltd (Jacobs) on behalf of the Queensland Department of Transport and Main Roads (TMR) to:
- Provide input to the Project Risk Log to ensure that all environmental risks associated with the Project were suitably captured and monitored.
- Project manage, undertake consultation with the Wet Tropics Management Authority (WTMA) on behalf of TMR and prepare a Wet Tropics Permit application.
- Prepare an Environmental Design Report.
- Provide input to the Construction Contract documentation specific to environmental management Project requirements.
“Given the sensitivity and significance of the WTWHA, it was important that transparent consultation was undertaken with the WTMA throughout the whole process. Niche worked collaboratively with Jacobs, TMR and WTMA to ensure the successful delivery of the Wet Tropics Permit which enabled critical timeframes to be met whilst still committing to negligible project impacts to WTWHA values.”Anne-marie Ten Hoorn, Associate – Environmental Consultant, Cairns
The advantages we delivered to this project`
- Excellent collaborative working relationships with all project stakeholders
- Delivery of high-quality outcomes on time and within budget
Find out more
Contact us to discuss how we can support your project.
Read more about our environmental and heritage management services.
Excellence in your environment