Principal Heritage Consultant – Queensland (Flexible location)
Empowering people to grow Niche in a strategic and sustainable manner.
An opportunity waits for an emerging or established leader with 12+ years’ experience in Aboriginal cultural heritage consulting services in the Queensland environment.
Working with Niche will provide you with exposure to complex cultural heritage projects, which includes designing and executing fieldwork, leading technical teams, leading preparation of technical reports, and providing detailed technical and statutory advice on Aboriginal cultural heritage matters. Our recent projects include linear infrastructure and renewable energy sector projects, providing EIS’ on pumped hydro, battery storage and wind farm projects.
This role will see you working in collaboration with our skilled Heritage team and with our clients, Aboriginal representatives, and communities. You will have the opportunity to mentor and support your teammates and take on direct management of a small team.
This position is ideal for individuals who are seeking a company that is focused on sustainable future growth and a role that further develops their technical skill set in cultural heritage management.
What can we offer you:
At Niche, we recognise the importance of making sure those who choose to represent us are well cared for. It is part of our core values and makes us who we are. Come grow with us and you can enjoy a number of benefits including:
- Our well-established hybrid work model (in-office & from home), our offices are always open to you balancing flexibility and connection.
- Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents and carers throughout their parenting and caring journey.
- Support for your Professional Development, with an allowance for costs and time so you can focus on your own professional growth.
- Our people know the best people and are rewarded for this through our generous employee referral program.
- Employee Assistance Program that lets you access support no matter where you may be. Our EAP providers offer employee counselling and coaching services for you and your family.
- Mentoring program so you can build on your own skills as well as learn and impart new skills to your team.
- Celebrating our staff through our anniversary awards scheme.
- Wellbeing program that includes mental health awareness month, flu vaccinations, Covid vaccinations, blood donation leave and much more.
- Company phone and credit card so you are never out-of-pocket for work expenses.
- Generous TIL policy and away from home allowance.
Experience and qualifications the ideal candidate will bring to this role:
- A degree and/or postgraduate qualification with a focus on Australian archaeology, anthropology, or cultural heritage management.
- Significant demonstrable experience working under the Aboriginal Cultural Heritage Act 2003.
- Working knowledge of Commonwealth heritage laws, other QLD laws including the Torres Strait Islander Cultural Heritage Act 2003 and the Queensland Heritage Act 1992, and local heritage planning requirements.
- A reputation for conducting high quality, ethical cultural heritage assessments, and maintaining positive relationships with Aboriginal communities.
- Strong people management and emotional intelligence skills with a demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, engage others, influence culture, and provide strong direction.
- Ability to manage complex projects from beginning to end.
- Well-developed ability and willingness to interpret and explain complex technical issues to all levels of staff and to clients.
- Excellent and proven experience in communicating with a range of stakeholders including clients and Aboriginal community representatives.
- QLD cultural heritage industry connections and an ability to carry out business development activities in a professional manner to support the wider Heritage team.
Niche Environment and Heritage is a leading multidisciplinary consultancy specialising in ecology and biodiversity, heritage management, environmental management and approvals and environmental offsetting with a focus on the east coast of Australia. Established in 2009 and operating in NSW and QLD regions since 2012 and Victoria since 2022, Niche has successfully delivered more than 3000+ projects to clients across Australia.
Our 100+ strong team includes a diverse range of professionals including terrestrial and aquatic ecologists, Aboriginal and historical heritage professionals, environmental scientists and approvals specialists, and spatial services and GIS experts.
Niche is a vibrant growing business that prides itself on caring for and supporting our its staff. We aim to be influential, pragmatic, and innovative. With a hybrid work model developed and nurtured over a decade we offer flexible work arrangements, an excellent safety culture and trust our staff to make the right decisions to deliver projects from end to end. Our diverse and cross-discipline capacity provides the opportunity to work on a multitude of interesting projects across eastern Australia.
How to apply:
If you are interested in this fantastic career opportunity, please submit your application including a resume and cover letter addressing the key requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our recruitment process includes behavioural and medical testing.
All applications will be treated with the strictest of confidence. Niche is an Equal Opportunity Employer, where diversity is embraced, and we encourage qualified candidates. You must have the right to work in Australia to be considered for this role.