Natural Capital and Offsetting Experienced Consultant
Empowering people to grow Niche in a strategic and sustainable manner.
Niche is at the forefront of strategic thinking when it comes to creation of nature strategies for our key clients. This is an exciting and intellectually challenging space to work in. Biodiversity runs in our veins here at Niche and we pride ourselves on our ability to deliver high quality biodiversity strategies which support our customer’s compliance obligations and voluntary aspirations.
Driven by our creative thinking and ability to understand both the supply and demand drivers that make environmental markets effective, we work collaboratively with our customers, landholders and government agencies to bring these schemes to life. We also embrace and actively participate in the growing move towards a nature-positive future, we believe this can be achieved through the use of quality nature accounting methods to support the creation of new natural capital assets on country which support our environment, economy and society. It’s a fast evolving space, so get ready for a heck of a ride!
The Niche Natural Capital team focuses on the creation of new nature-based assets through compliance methodologies such as state and federal offset schemes and voluntary nature-based methodologies. This team is focusing on biodiversity as its core natural capital driver and ultimately will cover other natural capital methods such as carbon and water.
The Position :
The purpose of this role is to work within the Natural Capital Team for key clients and landholders to design and deliver strategy and offset programs that focus on the following (generally in order of priority).
- Assisting clients to meet their compulsory obligations under the NSW Biodiversity Offset Scheme (BOS) with a focus on major projects.
- Generating biodiversity credit supply through assisting landowners or companies to establish Stewardship sites with fieldwork opportunities depending on your skillset and preferences.
- Pursuing and facilitating credit sales on behalf of landowners (credit brokerage) (including sales agreements and credits transfer forms where required).
- Preparing business cases for potential BSSs (desktop and preliminary field assessments).
- Overseeing the development of Stewardship sites in collaboration with the ecology team.
- Assisting in the design of spatial and data tools to maximise the efficiency of biodiversity programs.
- Work with the Natural Capital supply team to identify opportunities for demand-side clients in relation to biodiversity credits under the BOS.
- Landholder and community consultation to improve their knowledge of offsetting schemes to assist in their informed decision making.
- Understanding and applying nature-positive frameworks, markets and accounting models such as:
- Taskforce for Nature-related Financial Disclosures (TNFD)
- Emerging Commonwealth-designed nature repair market
- Accounting for nature
- Understanding carbon and water markets and their interrelation with the above.
Applicants without working knowledge of the NSW BOS but with a solid working knowledge of Natural Capital schemes including nature positive schemes and frameworks are encouraged to apply as several positions may be made available including a position targeting this skillset.
Experience and qualifications the ideal candidate will bring to this role:
You will be a passionate participant in fostering no-net loss and nature positive outcomes, always looking to value-add for the environment and our clients. You will be able to convert your lateral and analytical thinking skills into solutions. A self-driven hunger for knowledge will enable you to be at the forefront of natural capital thinking and you will be able to communicate your knowledge effectively through collaboration and communication across a range of mediums.
- Degree/undergraduate degree or post graduate qualification (in discipline field; ecology, biology, environmental science, environmental management, business management, economics or similar).
- Applied experience in project development and delivery within biodiversity offset strategies OR other natural capital, environmental markets and nature-based schemes is essential (minimum of four years experience)
- Experience in consulting with business clients, landholders and government regulatory authorities is essential.
- Exposure to a combination of environmental, agriculture, land, technology, finance or related functions or industries, high functioning statutory government or NGO.
- Some experience in running highly successful program delivery, project management and/or team management.
- Experience in working collaboratively, to foster high performing project teams.
What can we offer you:
At Niche, we recognise the importance of making sure those who choose to represent us are well cared for. It’s part of our core values and makes us who we are. Come grow with us and you can enjoy a number of benefits including:
- Our well-established hybrid work model (in-office & from home), our offices always open to you balancing flexibility and connection.
- Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents and carers throughout their parenting and caring journey.
- Support for your Professional Development, covering costs and time so you can focus on your own professional growth.
- Our people know the best people and are rewarded for this through our generous employee referral program.
- Employee Assistance Program that lets you access support no matter where you may be. Our EAP providers offer post-natal nutrition advice, employee counselling and coaching service for you and your family.
- Mentoring program so you can build on your own skills as well as learn and impart new.
- Celebrating our staff through our anniversary awards scheme.
- Wellbeing program that includes mental health awareness month, flu vaccinations, Covid vaccinations, blood donation leave and much more.
Niche Environment and Heritage is a leading multidisciplinary consultancy specializing in ecology and biodiversity, heritage management, environmental management and approvals and environmental offsetting with a focus on the east coast of Australia. Established in 2009 and operating in NSW and QLD regions since 2012, Niche has successfully delivered more than 3000+ projects to clients across Australia. Our 100+ strong team includes a diverse range of professionals including terrestrial and aquatic ecologists, Aboriginal and historical heritage professionals, environmental scientists and approvals specialists, and spatial services and GIS experts.
Niche is a vibrant growing business that prides itself on caring for and supporting our its staff. We aim to be influential, pragmatic and innovative. With a hybrid work model developed and nurtured prior to Covid-19, we offer flexible work arrangements, an excellent safety culture and trust our staff to make the right decisions to deliver projects from end to end. Our diverse and cross-discipline capacity provides the opportunity to work on a multitude of interesting projects across eastern Australia.
How to apply:
If you are interested in this fantastic career opportunity, please submit your application including a resume and cover letter addressing the key requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our recruitment process includes behavioural and medical testing.
All applications will be treated with the strictest of confidence. Niche is an Equal Opportunity Employer, where diversity is embraced, and we encourage qualified candidates. You must have the right to work in Australia to be considered for this role.