Associate – Natural Capital Offset Supply
Empowering people to grow Niche in a strategic and sustainable manner.
Niche is at the forefront of strategic thinking when it comes to creation of nature strategies for our key clients. This is an exciting and intellectually challenging space to work in. Biodiversity runs in our veins here at Niche and we pride ourselves on our ability to deliver high quality biodiversity strategies which support our customer’s compliance obligations and voluntary aspirations.
Driven by our creative thinking and ability to understand both the supply and demand drivers that make environmental markets effective, we work collaboratively with our customers, landholders and government agencies to bring these schemes to life. We also embrace and actively participate in the growing move towards a nature-positive future, we believe this can be achieved through the use of quality nature accounting methods to support the creation of new natural capital assets on country which support our environment, economy and society. It’s a fast evolving space, so get ready for a heck of a ride!
The Niche Natural Capital team focuses on the creation of new nature-based assets through compliance methodologies such as state and federal offset schemes and voluntary nature-based methodologies. This team is focusing on biodiversity as its core natural capital driver and ultimately will cover other natural capital methods such as carbon and water.
The Position :
The Associate Natural Capital – Offset Supply role will be responsible for managing and delivering multiple proposals and projects with a high level of complexity and value. Key to the role with be developing and maintaining strong and trusted relationships with landholders. The role requires efficient and effective project management skills, delivery of high-quality technical outputs, great communication skills, an eye for detail and highly professional and ethical work standards. The role will also include marketing of Niche’s services and developing strong and trusted client relationships.
The position has three key areas of accountability:
- Source and procure biodiversity offsets/credits
- Generate biodiversity credit supply
- Pursue and facilitate credit sales on behalf of landowners (credit brokerage).
The position will work with key developer clients, landowners and the Natural Capital Team to achieve the above.
This senior position reports to the Manager – Natural Capital Supply and will work in collaboration with staff within the broader Niche Biodiversity team to deliver on the natural capital strategy.
Key aspects, responsibilities and tasks will include:
- Application of the NSW Biodiversity Offset Scheme (BOS) and offset trading rules.
- Generate biodiversity credit supply through development of Biodiversity Stewardship Sites (BSSs).
- Identify and pursue opportunities to establish BSSs through landholder enquiry and reaching out to potential landholders.
- Prepare business cases for potential BSSs (desktop and preliminary assessments).
- Participate in and oversee the development of BSSs in collaboration with the ecology team.
- Source/procure credits to assist developer clients meet their compulsory obligations under the NSW BOS through direct market approaches (including conducting reverse auctions), establishment of BSSs, sponsorship of BSSs.
- Liaise and consult with relevant government departments in relation to application of the BOS and credit sales and transfers.
- Pursue and facilitate credit sales on behalf of landowners (credit brokerage) (including sales agreements and credits transfer forms where required).
- Landowner relationship and account management.
- Landholder and community consultation to improve knowledge of offsetting schemes to assist in informed decision-making.
- Assist in the design of spatial and data tools to maximise the efficiency of biodiversity programs/processes/data management.
- Work with the demand team to identify opportunities for supply-side clients in relation to biodiversity credits under the BOS.
- Assist the demand-side team as and when required with understanding and applying nature-positive frameworks, markets and accounting models such as:
- Taskforce for Nature-related Financial Disclosures (TNFD)
- Emerging Commonwealth-designed nature repair market
- Accounting for nature.
Experience and qualifications the ideal candidate will bring to this role:
You will be passionate about biodiversity conservation and have high ethical and professional standards as well as very well developed written and aural communication skills. You will enjoy working in a highly collaborative team environment, engaging with landholders and along with your in-depth knowledge of the Biodiversity Offset Scheme, will do everything possible to ensure establishment of any Biodiversity Stewardship Sites area a success. You will have an eye for detail and ability to analyse the biodiversity credit market to provide up-to-date and well-informed market information to our clients.
- Degree/undergraduate degree or post graduate qualification (in discipline field; ecology, biology, environmental science, environmental management, business management, economics or similar).
- In depth knowledge of the NSW BOS
- Development of Biodiversity Stewardship Sites
- Extensive experience working with landholders
- Experience in consulting with business clients, landholders and government regulatory authorities is essential.
- Applied experience in project development and delivery with biodiversity offset strategies
- Experience in running highly successful program delivery, project management and team management.
- Experience with stakeholder management, business development initiatives and managing a diverse project portfolio.
- Experience and commitment to working collaboratively within a high-performing project team
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with, guide and mentor others.
- Well-developed ability and willingness to interpret and explain complex technical issues to all levels of staff and to clients.
What can we offer you:
At Niche, we recognise the importance of making sure those who choose to represent us are well cared for. It’s part of our core values and makes us who we are. Come grow with us and you can enjoy a number of benefits including:
- Our well-established hybrid work model (in-office & from home), our offices always open to you balancing flexibility and connection.
- Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents and carers throughout their parenting and caring journey.
- Support for your Professional Development, covering costs and time so you can focus on your own professional growth.
- Our people know the best people and are rewarded for this through our generous employee referral program.
- Employee Assistance Program that lets you access support no matter where you may be. Our EAP providers offer post-natal nutrition advice, employee counselling and coaching service for you and your family.
- Mentoring program so you can build on your own skills as well as learn and impart new.
- Celebrating our staff through our anniversary awards scheme.
- Wellbeing program that includes mental health awareness month, flu vaccinations, Covid vaccinations, blood donation leave and much more.
Niche Environment and Heritage is a leading multidisciplinary consultancy specializing in ecology and biodiversity, heritage management, environmental management and approvals and environmental offsetting with a focus on the east coast of Australia. Established in 2009 and operating in NSW and QLD regions since 2012, Niche has successfully delivered more than 3,000+ projects to clients across Australia. Our 100+ strong team includes a diverse range of professionals including terrestrial and aquatic ecologists, Aboriginal and historical heritage professionals, environmental scientists and approvals specialists, and spatial services and GIS experts.
Niche is a vibrant growing business that prides itself on caring for and supporting our its staff. We aim to be influential, pragmatic and innovative. With a hybrid work model developed and nurtured prior to Covid-19, we offer flexible work arrangements, an excellent safety culture and trust our staff to make the right decisions to deliver projects from end to end. Our diverse and cross-discipline capacity provides the opportunity to work on a multitude of interesting projects across eastern Australia.
How to apply:
If you are interested in this fantastic career opportunity, please submit your application including a resume and cover letter addressing the key requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our recruitment process includes behavioural and medical testing.
All applications will be treated with the strictest of confidence. Niche is an Equal Opportunity Employer, where diversity is embraced, and we encourage qualified candidates. You must have the right to work in Australia to be considered for this role.