Aquatic Ecology Consultant – Wollongong NSW
We are seeking a motivated and enthusiastic Aquatic Ecologist. The successful candidate will work with our NSW Ecology team, full or part time. The preferred location is from our Wollongong Office, however other locations will be considered. We are seeking someone with 3+ years’ experience in aquatic ecology with consulting experience desirable.
This position is focused to freshwater ecology, survey, assessment and monitoring, and river health management, however candidates with marine, coastal, and estuarine ecology experience should also consider an application.
Requirements to be successful:
- A relevant Bachelor-level university degree in the field of Ecology, Environmental Science, Botany, Zoology or another relevant discipline.
- A minimum of 3+ years practical experience undertaking field-based surveys, data analysis and reporting.
- Working knowledge of NSW aquatic fauna (including freshwater invertebrates), aquatic ecology and water quality monitoring.
- Experience undertaking aquatic surveys, fauna identification and reporting in the communities of NSW.
- Working knowledge of relevant NSW and Commonwealth environmental legislation and planning policies.
- Experience in using AUSRIVAS sampling methodology and assessment.
- Experience conducting statistics and using statistical programs.
- Experience in the application of NSW biodiversity planning framework.
- Previous experience in preparing ecological reports such as ecological impact assessments, monitoring reports and management plans.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team of professionals.
- Solid problem solving, analytical and conceptual skills.
- Strong communication skills, including technical report writing.
- Ability to work outdoors in field locations and a willingness to travel is essential.
- A full current NSW driver’s licence.
- NSW White Card (CIC), First Aid certificate and experience with using tablets, laptops, digital cameras, and Microsoft 0365 are desirable.
Great conditions and salary on offer:
- Senior support is available to ensure you can grow in your role with us.
- Anniversary awards scheme.
- Generous employee referral program.
- Professional learning and development, and mentoring program.
- Employee Assistance Program.
- Flexible working options
- Paid parental leave policy
- Community engagement activities.
- An attractive salary and allowances will be offered in line with your level of experience.
Niche Environment and Heritage is a leading multidisciplinary consultancy specialising in ecology and biodiversity, heritage management, environmental management and approvals, and environmental offsetting. Established in 2009, Niche has successfully delivered more than 2800 projects to clients across Australia. Our 75+strong team includes ecologists, botanists, archaeologists, and environmental scientists.
Niche is a vibrant, flexible and well organised business that prides itself in caring for and supporting our employees. We have an excellent safety culture and trust our employees to make the right decisions to deliver projects from end to end. Our diverse and cross-discipline capacity provides the opportunity to work on a multitude of interesting projects across eastern Australia.
How to apply:
If you are interested in this fantastic career opportunity, please read the position description and then submit your application including a resume and cover letter addressing the key requirements via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Our recruitment process includes behavioural and medical testing.
All applications will be treated with the strictest of confidence. Niche is an Equal Opportunity Employer, where diversity is embraced and we encourage qualified candidates of all differences to apply. You must have the right to work in Australia to be considered for this role.